Learn the ancient rhythms that have been played for a thousand years in West Africa as a way of communicating, celebrating, and gathering. Drumming gives us a way to collaborate, to feel a sense of accomplishment, teamwork, creativity, and some say “spiritual joy”
This series will give people with little or no music background, the chance to learn to play music and experience playing with a group of others in a very short time.
What you will learn:
• About the types of Drums: Djembe Drum (which means to gather) and Dundun Drums
• Technique – Proper way to play the drum, hand position & posture
• The three notes or ways to strike the drum (Bass, Tone, Slap)
• Warm Up Exercises & Patterns for Home Practice
• Multiple Rhythms with accompaniments for Djembe & Dundun will be played during each class with a specific focus of 2 rhythms each 13 week session. Session 1 will be the rhythms (Sincrou Badin Don & Bolonba) to be reviewed & played every class for 13 weeks, so you will end each 13 week session with an understanding and ability to play these two featured rhythms.
• Performance of select rhythms at end of class by Tam Tam Sacree Performing Ensemble
• Weekly Discussion & Q&A could include: History of Africa, History of Rhythms, History of Drumming, Drums & Drum Making (Abdoulaye is also an gifted & expert drum maker) Abdoulaye’s stories of learning & studying with his Master, Morley Toure’ & tales of life in Africa.
Come have fun! Anyone can learn!
Abdoulaye Diallo hails from Ziguinchor Senegal, West Africa. Abdoulaye started playing drums when he was six years old in his home village. He later went on to tour the world performing & sharing West African Drumming & Dance with his performing ensemble Baskolo. Abdoulaye moved to the United States in 2000. He currently lives in Salinas California and teaches West African Drumming & Dance and performs with his current performance ensemble Tam Tam Sacree.
Classes are hosted and filmed at Wave Street Studios 774 Wave St. Monterey, CA.
Session 1: May 11th -August 3rd Wednesday’s 5:00pm-6:30pm – 13 week session