Ep.3:Traditional West African Drum Class with Abdoulaye Diallo
Featured Free Classes and Live Streams • 1h 31m
Rhythm 1: More Ba Yassa – Break, 2 djembe accompaniments & dundun parts for kenkini, sangban & dundunba
Is a rhythm played in all of West Africa
Rhythm means More= name of a king, Ba= Big, Yassa=Song
Rhythm 2: Liberte’ – Break, 3 djembe accompaniments & dundun parts for kenkini, sangban & dundun
Is a Rhythm & Dance played for freedom
Rhythm 3: Lamba Wasolu– Break, 2 djembe accompaniments & dundun parts for kenkini, sangban & dundunba
Rhythm means Wasolo= town in Guinea, Lamba=Rhythm
Join us live in Monterey Wednesday's 5pm PST for our Traditional West African Drum Classes. Learn the ancient rhythms that have been played for a thousand years in West Africa as a way of communicating, celebrating, and gathering. Drumming gives us a way to collaborate, to feel a sense of accomplishment, teamwork, creativity, and some say “spiritual joy”
This series will give people with little or no music background, the chance to learn to play music and experience playing with a group of others in a very short time.
Abdoulaye Diallo hails from Ziguinchor Senegal, West Africa. Abdoulaye started playing drums when he was six years old in his home village. He later went on to tour the world performing & sharing West African Drumming & Dance with his performing ensemble Baskolo. Abdoulaye moved to the United States in 2000. He currently lives in Salinas California and teaches West African Drumming & Dance and performs with his current performance ensemble Tam Tam Sacree.
Wave Street Studios 774 Wave St. Monterey, CA.
Wednesday’s 5:00pm-6:30pm – 13 week session
Session 1: May 11th -August 3rd
What you will learn:
• About the types of Drums: Djembe Drum (which means to gather) and Dundun Drums
• Technique – Proper way to play the drum, hand position & posture
• The three notes or ways to strike the drum (Bass, Tone, Slap)
• Warm Up Exercises & Patterns for Home Practice
• Multiple Rhythms with accompaniments for Djembe & Dundun will be played during each class with a specific focus of 2 rhythms each 13 week session. Session 1 will be the rhythms (Sincrou Badin Don & Bolonba) to be reviewed & played every class for 13 weeks, so you will end each 13 week session with an understanding and ability to play these two featured rhythms.
• Performance of select rhythms at end of class by Tam Tam Sacree Performing Ensemble
• Weekly Discussion & Q&A could include: History of Africa, History of Rhythms, History of Drumming, Drums & Drum Making (Abdoulaye is also an gifted & expert drum maker) Abdoulaye’s stories of learning & studying with his Master, Morley Toure’ & tales of life in Africa.
Come have fun! Anyone can learn!
In-Studio Class fee’s:
$20 per class-Drop in
$150 for 10 weeks paid in advance
Free on WaveStreetLive.com, Wave Street Live Roku and IPhone apps
Up Next in Featured Free Classes and Live Streams
Shakti Soul Retreat with Selby Pena 1...
A day long Bhakti yoga immersion with Selby and live kirtan with Jayadeva live from Wave Street Studios in Monterey California.
Our live stream is free and without interruption for everyone to enjoy.
• Neutral poses continue
• Pranayama techniques
• Open heart meditation
• Love and kindness st...
Kundalini Yoga with Sukhmandir and Ki...
Join Kirantana and Sukhamandir Singh Khalsa live in Monterey.
Kirantana has been a Kundalini Yoga teacher for 35 years. He is a Naturopathic Doctor and a Musician. He is a former UN Peacekeeper. He started teaching kundalini yoga programs in California prisons, adult and juvenile, and worked with...
Joy Bliss and Consciousness
You have to find the deep reservoir of consciousness that’s beyond the mind that was you before you were born, that was you before you came into this body, that was you before the beginning of time, that has never died. Find that state of consciousness and make that connection. See this life as...